In 1889 a small wooden bridge was built over Burnt bridge creek. Although it was a rude structure it was a boon to the people who traveled to Vancouver from this ever growing neighborhood. The bigger bridge which changed the road to its present location was built in 1895 and rebuilt in 1922. It is plenty large enough to accommodate the present (1928) traffic.
The first little bridge was destroyed by fire, hence the unromantic name “Burnt Bridge creek” for the beautiful little stream of water.
As time went on the need of better roads was foreseen. The fine piece of pavement built in 1922, from the city limits on the St. Johns road to the Barberton district is the result of the efforts of the people of the community.